Information About Becoming a Mobile Food Unit

NOTE: This is an overview of the steps needed to open a Mobile Food Unit (MFU) in Pittsburg, Texas. Read Ordinance 941-22 for complete details and requirements. If you are interested in operating a Mobile Food Unit, you can contact City Hall at (903) 856-3621 with any questions.

Step One: Obtain City Permits and Licensing             

Step Two: Find a Qualified Location 

(Full Mobile Food Unit Regulations

Mobile Food Unit Packet         

  • Must be located on a lot with an existing business that is operating in a permitted building
  • Located on a hard surface lot
  • Must be within 500 ft of the primary business and professionally plumbed restrooms
  • Written permission from business owner to utilize lot and restrooms
  • MFU must be moved daily and stay no longer than 12 hours
  • Can only operate during operation hours of primary permitted business
  • Prohibited in Main Street Overlay District

Step Three: Application            

  • Application must be filled out completely
  • Pay the associated fee at City Hall
    • $300 - Annual
  • Submit Application to Building Official at City Hall  
  • Building Official has 5 days to review plan - 24-hour notice is required for all inspections 

Step Four: Open for Business

  • Requires two inspections a year by city food service inspector

If you are interested in operating a Mobile Food Unit, you can contact City Hall at 903-856-3621 with any questions.

Downloadable Ordinance, Application and Sources